Laparoscopy Post-Operative Instructions
Expect to have some mild-moderate abdominal pain/bloating for the first 24-48 hours. Gas pain is very common. Shoulder pain is also common due to gas used to inflate the abdomen for surgery. This will typically resolve over 24-72 hours. Walking will help.
At first, it is better to prevent pain than to wait to treat it. I recommend taking something regularly for pain for the first 24-48 hours after surgery. This can include the pain medication prescription given to you at discharge home. It can also include Ibuprofen (Motrin/Advil/generic) in addition to your prescription pain medicine. Feel free to continue taking something intermittently for pain until your follow up appointment with me.
Beginning at least 24 hours after surgery, you may drive when you are done taking any narcotic/prescription pain medicine and you feel comfortable hitting the brakes.
Your incisions do not need any special care. In addition to dissolvable suture under the skin, they are covered with dermabond (skin glue) to protect them. Feel free to cover them with a bandage if they drain any.
- You may also shower as usual. You may bathe if you are not experiencing any vaginal bleeding.
- You may eat your regular diet.
- You may take something to help with constipation if needed. Milk of magnesia, stool softeners, and suppositories are all ok.
- You may walk, climb stair, and do things at waist level, but do not do any heavy duty lifting until instructed that it is safe to do so at your post op appointment.
- Do not resume intercourse until instructed that it is safe to do so after your post op follow up with me.
Although unlikely, report the following symptoms to me if they occur: Fever of 100.4 or greater, worsening nausea/vomiting with inability to keep down any liquids, worsening abdominal/pelvic pain unresponsive to pain medication. You can reach me or the on call MD at the above number in case of emergency.
Follow up with me about 1 week after surgery. Call my office to schedule if needed.
J. William Groves, JR., MD, FACOG
Obstetrics and Gynecology
1860 W. Gauthier Rd., Ste. 130
Lake Charles, LA 70605
Phone: (337) 480-5530